Bruce Lee Personality Type: The “Craftsman” in MBTI
The Bruce Lee Personality Type in MBTI is the same personality type of many famous athletes. This type is characterized by logic, discipline, and self-mastery. Learn why this personality type thinks so differently which enables them to succeed in a high-functioning manner.
In this article, you’ll learn about the Myers Briggs type and personality traits of Bruce Lee.
Personally, I love and admire the mind of Bruce Lee after reading one of his books (a compilation of essays he wrote) that changed me by introducing me to Taoism and teaching me so much wisdom about life.
So I write this article with excitement. He was an outstanding man!
What personality type was Bruce Lee?
In the world of Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), also known as the 16 personalities, Bruce Lee perfectly fits the type known as the ISTP Craftsman.
The ISTP is one of the 16 personality types, estimated at around ~4-6% of the population. Sometimes they are nicknamed the “Virtuoso”, “Maverick” or the “Crafter.” Here I refer to them as the ISTP “Craftsman” personality type.
ISTPs are unique, hardworking individuals who strive for self-mastery through disciplined actions. They have innate intuitions that guide their decisions in life and oftentimes, ISTPs seem destined for success.
Bruce Lee was definitely a perfect example of an ISTP, who made himself a pop-culture icon of the 20th century through his fiery pursuit of mastery. In this book, he writes that “Above all, I am an artist of life.”
This perfectly reflects to desire of his artisan temperament, which instinctively is in pursuit of creative self-expression. Bruce Lee fulfilled this core need through his acting, his martial arts, and his writings.
Famous ISTP Personality Type
Three other very ISTP personality types who are famous athletes include Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods.
I loved this book by the coach of both Kobe and Michael who spoke about their disciplines to go above and beyond in their practices without any recognition. He called them “Closers” who were relentless about their craft.
You can notice that amongst some of the most famous ISTPs, there is a trend of dedicated focus on accomplishing as much as they personally could withstand.
What were Bruce Lee character traits?
- ISTPs are incredibly practical, resourceful, and adaptable allowing them to thrive in dynamic and unpredictable situations
- As analytical thinkers, ISTPs think efficiently to problem-solve and create innovative solutions
- ISTPs are independent, self-reliant, and responsible striving to be always prepared
- They have a hands-on approach as ISTPs prefer to learn through experience
- ISTPs can struggle with impulsivity, impatience, and insensitivity to others’ feelings
- ISTPs are not emotionally-expressive individuals and may lean towards avoiding conflict at the cost of miscommunication intentions
22 Bruce Lee Quotes
Check out more of his words of wisdom in this 22 Bruce Lee quotes post.
10 Bruce Lee Fun Facts
- Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, California on November 27, 1940.
- He was raised in Hong Kong before attending college in the United States.
- He was fluent in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
- Bruce Lee studied philosophy at the University of Washington.
- He loved reading and had an extensive personal library.
- He wrote poetry in his downtime.
- Bruce Lee is best known as a very successful international actor, experiencing success in both Chinese and American films.
- Bruce Lee developed a unique style of martial arts called “Jeet Kune Do” in which he emphasized the mental flow of combat.
- He was originally trained in martial arts under the renowned master Yip Man.
- Bruce Lee inspired millions through his films, his martial arts, and his philosophy!
What was Bruce Lee Zodiac Sign?
The Zodiac Sign of Bruce Lee in Astrology
In Astrology, Bruce Lee was a Sagittarius Sun, Sagittarius Rising, and Scorpio Moon.
Bruce Lee Chinese Zodiac Sign
In the Chinese Zodiac, Bruce Lee was born in the year of the Dragon.